Friday, December 2, 2011

Final Thoughts on Technology

            Until this semester, all of my courses at Yavapai College had been online. This class, however, has far exceeded the others in the use of technology as a communication tool. In comparing online learning to my other in-class courses, I have found no real difference in the amount of learning or effort necessary between in-class and online courses. I do however enjoy online as it gives the student and the teacher an incredible amount of flexibility in submitting and grading assignments.
            One of the benefits of taking an English class online is the amount of various resources available to present ideas. Handing in a paper limits a student to the words on the paper. Assignments turned in over the internet can make use of video, presentations, posters, images, and so much more. The English language, as with any language, is a means of communication. An English class is meant to help students to better communicate through writing, but also through the new forms of communication available.
            Blogger was definitely the most used technology. Its user friendly interface and posting were a great help to me. I also enjoyed the manner in which it archived the posts for later viewing. This was immensely helpful when trying to retrieve an old post. Of all the internet resources used, though, I would say the Prezi was my favorite. It gave the presentation an interactive feel while still providing easy use. The way in which you could enlarge or shrink words, pictures, and shapes gave the presentation more personality than a regular blog post.
            All of the skills I learned in this class, including my technology skills, will be helpful to me in the future. Blogging, presentations, video blogs, and writing in general will all help me to be a better communicator. Blogs and vlogs are useful because they remain in an archive for people to later go back and reread (or watch) your post. Presentations will provide a dynamic way of sharing my message with others, be it in the same room or over miles via the internet. In short, nothing compares to the advances we have made in technology. Not to use them will be a great mistake.


Farewell God knows when we shall meet again..- Shakespeare
J. McNerney addendum "hopefully sooner than later!"
 Finally, a song on the transiency of life........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YISE0wk9XbY&feature=autoplay&list=PL819505D7D157BDD2&lf=plpp_play_all&playnext=1&shuffle=15067

2 comments:

  1. I'm interested in the fact that you found no difference in the effort between an online class and an in person class. To me there would be a bit of a difference because even though it would seem that the online class is easier, it's actually harder than what people think it will be like. I agree with you on when taking an English class online, there are definitely more options on how to present the idea or topic. I also agreed that Blogger was a useful piece of technology and it would be a great mistake if the advances in technology weren't used.

    Good luck with your spring classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are that to not use technology is a mistake. I think one of the biggest mistakes we ever made was not taking an initiative to learn more about it. Well, we can remedy this in the future can't we? Good luck with everything left!

    ReplyDelete